Spring has sprung and OSS is excited that baseball season has started!
Seattle baseball fans, tonight is the night to cheer on the Mariners as they take on their division rivals, the Angels! Seattle swept the Angels in a three-game series to open the season in Anaheim, and tonight’s meeting will be a rematch between the Mariners’ James Paxton and Halos left-hander Hector Santiago from the season’s third game, which Seattle won, 8-2. Tonight’s home game also a number of new faces, including new manager Lloyd McClendon and superstar second baseman Robinson Cano, who signed as a free agent this winter. Fernando Rodney, Logan Morrison, John Buck, Corey Hart and Chris Young are also among the new Mariners set to be introduced tonight.
Other highlights of tonight’s home opener include:
- The Mariners will salute the Super Bowl-champion Seahawks tonight as part of their Opening Night ceremonies at Safeco Field, with quarterback Russell Wilson among several players who will be part of a pre-game presentation and the ceremonial first pitch.
- Opening Night festivities will begin at 4:40 p.m. PT, when the gates of Safeco Field open to the general public with a countdown at the Home Plate Gate. Pre-game ceremonies start at 6:30 p.m. PT.
- With catcher Mike Zunino and reliever Dominic Leone, the Mariners are the only team in the Majors with two players from the 2012 Draft on their active roster. Zunino was Seattle’s first-round Draft pick, and Leone was a 16th-round selection.
- Ibanez made his first start in left field on Monday. The 41-year-old designated hitter won’t come close to matching the 832 1/3 innings he spent in the outfield with the Mariners last year, but Angels manager Mike Scioscia has said he’d like to get him some time out there periodically.
OSS wants to wish the Mariners an exciting and injury-free season! Now… let’s play ball!
OSS is the Presenting Sponsor of this year’s Seafair!
Seafair, Seattle’s summer celebration is celebrating its 65th anniversary! Seafair is 8 weeks long, includes 75 events and reaches nearly 2 million people. Orthopedic Specialists of Seattle (OSS) will be on-site at the triathlon and torchlight run, and will be the presenting sponsor of our photo opportunities throughout the festival.
Signature Events include:
Seafair Festival Kick Off
Sunday, June 15
Location TBD | Time TBD
Rock ‘n’ Roll Seattle Marathon & 1/2 Marathon – A Seafair Signature Event
Saturday, June 21 | Seattle Center | 7 a.m
Seafair Pirates Landing
Saturday, June 28 | Alki Beach | 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Seafair Summer Fourth
Friday, July 4 | Gas Works Park & South Lake Union Park | 12 p.m. – 12 a.m.
Group Health Seafair Battle for the Paddle featuring the PCC Natural Markets Seafair Milk Carton Derby & ZICO Seafair Stand Up Paddleboarding Competition
Saturday, July 12 | Green Lake | 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Also featuring the Seafair Stand Up Paddleboarding Competition and the Seafair Battle for the Paddle
Seafair Triathlon & Kids Seafair Triathlon
Sunday, July 20 | Seward Park | 6:30 a.m.
OSS will be onsite!
MISS SEAFAIR SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM FOR WOMEN CORONATON
Thursday, July 24 | Seattle Repertory Theatre | 7 p.m.
SEAFAIR TORCHLIGHT NIGHT FEATURING…
Saturday, July 26 | Downtown Seattle | 2 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Seattle Center Seafair Torchlight FanFest
Seattle Center | 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. | Seattle Center
Michelob ULTRA Seafair Torchlight Run
Seattle Center/Downtown Seattle | 6:30 p.m.
Alaska Airlines Seafair Torchlight Parade
Downtown Seattle/4th Avenue | 7:30 p.m.
OSS will be onsite!
SEAFAIR FLEET WEEK & BOEING MARITIME CELEBRATION FEATURING…
Parade of Ships
Wednesday, July 30 | Pier 62/63 | 1:45 p.m.
Thursday, July 31 – Saturday, August 2 | Pier 66 and Other Locations TBA | 9:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Sunday, August 3 | Pier 66 and Other Locations TBA | 12:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
SEAFAIR WEEKEND FEATURING…
August 1 – 3 | Genesee Park on Lake Washington | Fri. – Sat. 8:30 a.m. – 6 p.m., Sun. 7:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Albert Lee Appliance Seafair Cup – H1 Unlimited Hydroplane Racing, Boeing Seafair Air Show featuring the U.S. Navy Blue Angels, Graham Trucking Seafair Cup – F1 Prop Tunnel Boat Racing, Seafair Vintage Hydroplane Exhibition, Hyperlite Wakeboard Experience, Seafair Saturday Night Concert featuring Fireworks Show, Live Music & Entertainment, Interactive Exhibits & Booths, Food Court & Beer Gardens
OSS is excited to be part of the summer celebration and hope that you will come out and enjoy the festivities! For more information about Seafair, visit their site at . For more information on where OSS will be during Seafair, call us at (206) 633-8100.OSS Participates in “Reading Rocks” Book Drive
Help make the Reading Rocks program a success and donate your books to this great cause! As Abraham Lincoln once said, “The things I want to know are in books. My best friend is the man who’ll get me a book I haven’t read.”
For more information on where to donate books, please contact OSS at (206) 633-8100.
The 2014 Sochi Olympics has had a fair share of injuries, none more so than the extreme sports that were added to the winter games as a way to attract a younger audience to watch and show interest in the Games. OSS admires all the Olympians competing for the Gold as well as glory for their respective country; and as the final week rounds out this year’s Winter Olympics, we want to wish all the athletes who were involved in some kind of injury, a speedy recovery.
According to Dr. Charlie Peterson, “These events demonstrate that even at the elite level of competition, injuries are part of the game for all athletes. It re-emphasizes the need for maximum fitness and proper techniques and equipment to minimize the chance of injury, as well as the timely treatment of injuries when they occur.”
Here is a rundown of athletes and their injuries:
• Ski-cross racer Maria Komissarova of Russia broke her spine during a practice run at the Extreme Park and is being treated in Munich after undergoing surgery in Krasnaya Polyana, the nearest town to the venue.
• Canadian skier Yuki Tsubota suffered a mild concussion and a fractured cheekbone in a Feb. 11 crash during the women’s slopestyle event, where athletes soar and slide over obstacles before launching themselves off progressively larger jumps. The 20-year-old landed short and was taken off the course on a stretcher. She has returned home to see if she needs surgery.
• During the women’s snowboard cross event on Feb. 16, Jacqueline Hernandez of the U.S. was carried off after she banged her head, as was Norway’s Helene Olafsen with a knee injury.
• Islanders star John Tavares is out for the season after suffering a left knee injury in Team Canada’s win over Latvia on February 18.
• Bode Miller owns a U.S.-record six Olympic Alpine medals, including a bronze in the super-G from last weekend that made him the oldest ski racer to win a Winter Games medal. He said Wednesday, February 18 that his knee bothered him after that race, and it’s been swollen during the Sochi Olympics.
• Heidi Kloser of Vail injures right knee in crash, out of Sochi Olympic mogulsCheers to Chambers Business Expo a Success
Orthopedic Specialists of Seattle (OSS) was proud to be a part of this year’s Cheers to Chamber Business Expo! Hosted by the Ballard, Fremont, Green Lake, Phinney/Greenwood and Queen Anne Neighborhood Chambers of Commerce and Business Associations; the focus was on connecting residents and business leaders to form a stronger local community. OSS was pleased to meet new business owners as well as current businesses and find out the latest goods and services in each respected community.
The Master of Ceremonies of the event was Mark Aucutt and Mayor Murray was on hand to say a few words to everyone at the Expo.
Congratulations to John Marshall for winning the OSS gift basket! OSS hopes to be a part of this event again next year!Save the Date: Orthopedic Specialists of Seattle (OSS) will be part of the 2014 Cheers to Chamber Business Expo
Originally begun as Cheers to Wallingford nearly 4 years ago, the 2014 Cheers to Chambers Business Expo will feature businesses from Wallingford, Fremont, Ballard, Greenlake, Greenwood/Phinney, Queen Anne and other North Seattle neighborhoods.
OSS has been part of the Wallingford community for many years and look forward to meeting you! Our services include: Treatment of arthritic conditions of the foot, ankle, hand, wrist, hip, knee, elbow and shoulder; total joint replacements of the shoulder, hip, ankle, and knee arthroscopic surgery of the shoulder, elbow, knee and ankle; teatment of fractures and soft tissue trauma; treatment of sports injuries to cartilage, ligaments and bones; endoscopic carpel tunnel release surgery for carpal tunnel syndrome; joint restoration procedures and anterior approach hip replacement surgery.
Come out and meet OSS and register to win a Seattle Basket Giveaway from OSS!
Date: February 19, 2014
Time: 4:30 – 7:30 pm
Location: Fremont Studios
155 N. 35th Street, Near Phinney Ave N
To find out more about Cheers to Chambers Business Expo, visit: http://visitwallingford.org/conference/cheers-to-chambers-business-expo-2014/
We hope to see you there!OSS January Newsletter!
Check out our January Newsletter here! We hope you enjoy!OSS Wishes the Seattle Seahawks Good Luck!
OSS Wishes the Seattle Seahawks Good Luck!
Seattle Seahawks vs. San Francisco 49ers… Clash between two NFL titans!
We know that the rivalry between Seahawks coach Pete Carroll and San Francisco coach Jim Harbaugh goes back to their college jobs at USC and Stanford adds to the intensity of Seahawks-49ers match-ups; and on Sunday, January 19, at 3:30 pm, these teams will battle for the NFC Division Championship at Century Link Field in Seattle, Washington.
Blue Friday is in full swing here at OSS as well as in Seattle! Even Starbucks is marketing Blue Friday, offering 12th-Man coffee instead of a “tall” for only 12 cents to all Seahawks fans sporting the team’s colors! As big fans of the Seahawks, we want to wish them good luck and let’s bring home that NFC Championship so we can move on to the Super Bowl!
Go Seahawks!OSS December Newsletter!
Check out our December Newsletter by clicking on the following link: